Wednesday 3 December 2014

Black Box Theory (for Rod Summers)

Originally written for TICTAC's Zine in a Box Project.

I signed for custody of all theory
but she got away.
did you do the world a favor?
whatever you heard
the lights overhead are hanging low
and
since when did this become reality
- verbal soup on white cloths.
did you ever work here
on your feet all day
you don’t even have the right shoes.
Will we ever graduate
from a life of balloons?

I don’t want to take up too much time,
I got this idea years ago
I tried to build it myself
a theoretical box
go ahead
put your eye on the end
what a shock
stagger into the glass light
the rain drops
he did vote for you
but the merry-go-round
came to halt.

 what’s wrong?
I want you to know
you can tell me anything

the city is sick
in a way

I had not realized.
the last target?
It doesn’t matter
they’re all guilty
that’s how we feel
everyone
that’s why
we let them all down. 

state of the art
a century  of centuries ago
but the sheer drop -
to theory of forms?
his torch went out.
will you remember my books?
they’re my dad’s.
can I talk to you for a minute?
down there,
over here.

Black box theories
may be
defined
only in terms of their function.

Specifically, the inquiry
is focused upon a thing
that has no immediately
apparent
characteristics
and
therefore
has only factors for consideration held within itself
hidden
from immediate observation. 

3rd one from the back
the desk lights flicker
as the telescope unwinds to reveal
reflections on steps and organ pipes.
Looking around corners
to Bach
and dark wood -
We found nothing.
Newspaper clippings in fluoresce
its just a box of paper clips
I didn’t think anyone would mind.

The term black box
first recorded used by the RAF of approximately 1947
         that kid
cleaning the dishes
he saved something for you
a full bag
hid in the
refrigerator
some sort of sealed container
promotions all round
get the kid a suit
while the table clothes sunk,
once lifted by a strange wind.

describing  the sealed containment apparatus of navigation
recording functions
occurring within
Why did he crash and burn?

He paid his rent on time
it worked
was everything  fake?
there must be something to this
our only lead.
he had his ways I had mine.
You hear laughter
it sends you spinning
not with joy
pistachio spellbound
with wider application
after 1964.


No-one MOVE!
there was only 1 target
and they got him.
And everything he thought
the precious thoughts
of the man hiding
behind his history
or sense thereof.



could I have some change?
Too many late nights leave me
craving
the early morning sun.
I think you have secrets

- What so you want me to say
that I do?

 radio transmissions occurring
within our space
- causality
a classical feature of
Newtonian mechanics
leaves us rummaging
through coloured orange boxes
rather than black.

Aim the telescope higher
to finepoint
“What does it mean”

Bad dreams continue to
wash out on ancient desks while
pearls scatter.

scientifically computing,
black box  device
-       input,
-       output
-       transfer characteristics
-       ?
without any knowledge of their internal workings.
(Refer Outlanders)  

opaque implementation
algorithms of inspection
what’s the new programme then?
There are easier ways
the tired old words
you need to keep
your strength up
as ties are pulled
and weapons of choice are slotted
into  neat boxes
internal combustion ensues.


No comments:

Post a Comment